Thursday 1 February 2024

Al Di Meola - All Your Life - A Tribute To The Beatles (2013)

Year: 10 September 2013 (CD 2019)
Label: Valian Music And Media
Style: Jazz, Jazz Rock
Country: Jersey City, New Jersey, U.S. (July 22, 1954)
Time: 54:52
Format: Flac Tracks 16/44,1 kHz
Size: 309 Mb

This is a solo guitar work. Some tunes also feature his co-producer Hernan Romero on hand claps and chaca rhythm. The selection of 14 Lennon/McCartney songs (no George Harrison compositions included) is in my opinion fairly nice if not truly ideal. The early catchy hits are mostly absent. Sadly there aren't much from the two final Beatles albums either, only 'Because' from Abbey Road. The selection is emphasized on the c. 1965-67 era; for example four pieces from Sgt. Pepper. The originals such as 'A Day in the Life' and 'Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite' are are so rich and perfect sonically that a solo guitar interpretation may feel rather inferior in comparison.
That's simply the price to pay in a project like this, especially when dealing with such well-known classic stuff that many a listener has a very close relationship with. Without a doubt there are more cover recordings of The Beatles compositions than of any other band, both sung and instrumental, in every imaginable style/genre I suppose, from Baroque to smooth jazz. And it's safe to say that most of them fail to impress deeply. I think this album is easily among the most succesful artistically of those -- not so many -- I've listened to. Al Di Meola's skills on the acoustic guitar are awesome, and his arrangements are inspired and as rich as pieces for a solo instrument can possibly be. If I felt somewhat disappointed by the opening track 'In My Life' featuring the hand clapping, during the near 55-minute album I began to enjoy it more and more. A special mention for 'Eleanor Rigby'. I don't know how its arrangement was done but it sounds like there was a string section. Elsewhere it's often the ripped-down approach that brings up the song's melodic essence in a fresh way, for example the closing piece 'She's Leaving Home'.
And despite the above mentioned risk of feeling inferior to the original songs, it's a certainty that knowing the compositions helps me to enjoy this album. I mean, a regular solo guitar album of unfamiliar compositions would probably tire me on the long run.
This is a sincere labour of love by an extraordinary musician. The ideal setting for listening to this album would be with a sweetheart sharing your interest in both The Beatles and peaceful acoustic instrumental music, more or less as a background music for your cozy time together.
(progarchives.com/album.asp?id=41667) Review by Matti. June 9, 2022

01. In My Life (03:52)
02. And I Love Her (04:31)
03. Because (04:08)
04. Michelle (05:13)
05. I Will (02:53)
06. Eleanor Rigby (02:51)
07. Penny Lane (05:42)
08. Blackbird (04:39)
09. I Am the Walrus (04:05)
10. A Day in the Life (03:02)
11. Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite (03:10)
12. With a Little Help from My Friends (04:16)
13. If I Fell (03:00)
14. Shes Leaving Home (03:22)

Al-Di-Meola2013-All-Your-Life-Tribute-Beatles-01 Al-Di-Meola2013-All-Your-Life-Tribute-Beatles-02 Al-Di-Meola2013-All-Your-Life-Tribute-Beatles-03

TurboBit             KatFile            FreeDlink

No comments:

Post a Comment